Previous month:
October 2004
Next month:
December 2004

Christmas Comes Early

Poncholivia ~ to my goddaughter Kathryn, to whom this purple poncho makes its way as of today. (I recruited another 10-year-old to model.) I packed it loosely in tissue paper with a card encouraging her to begin enjoying it right away. Quick, before the fashion fades! You may recall she requested this creation when we were together some months ago, and I was eager to oblige. I found the perfect yarn by the bag at Webs soon thereafter, the discontinued Berocco X-Press, a merino/acrylic blend that may be gently machine washed. The pattern came last, and it's a winner, even though I didn't give it full due; I loved Lizzi's Falling Leaves Poncho, but didn't have the energy for its greatest feature, the lacy leaves. So I traded its 24-row pattern for a braided cable worked over 12 rows and the same 26 stitches. It's right chunky, but I think it looks pretty cool. Model Olivia liked it, so that's a good sign ~ looks like her mom may be knitting a poncho soon!

Casper's Cap

OK, I think they are calling him Casper; like his brother Quincy, he has four names. And, as he's only a week old tomorrow, he's not yet available to model. Actually, I want to deliver the currently-in-assembly cardigan to the October-born Hazel before heading over to meet this newest. So we called on Pooh for the blocking and modeling (and he didn't remain perfectly still) :


Here's the swirly top. I love the look of decreases in the round . . .

And I love the look of Greta's prayer scarf she made me, but this close-up still doesn't do it justice. She said it's Lavold's Silky Wool. I say it's soft and sweet.

Prayer Presents

While we all know it was darling Greta's presence that meant the most on two of last week's difficult days, yesterday she asked us to stop en route home to collect some presents. I'll take a close-up of the beautiful scarf she knit me when next the camera and the teal silk/wool and I share the same daylight location; see it around my neck in Sunday sun for now:


And what's that in Wee C's hand? It's Magnet Maggie [sic!] ~ how could Greta resist? (As if the candy would not have been enough.) It reminded us of ones we used to have when we were kids, although this newfangled female version shows sample accessory ideas rather than facial hair options. And it occupied busy hands while we sipped coffee and knit a few rows before journeying onward, back to the routine, and the kitties, who seemed to have grown inches in a week, and were most happy to see us.

Can I thank all you commenters, correspondents and silent wishers for your thoughts and prayers, too, in one fell swoop? They mean the world to me, but I don't have the energy to reply individually. I've snuck too many blog looks today as it is, with several post-gala honors news releases to get out, as well as a bimonthly newsletter. I was deeply touched by your kindness. The connections of life have truly made death easier to bear ~

He's Gone

Y'all are the best ~ I am so grateful for your kind comments and wish I could reply to each one. But the computer here is wonky, or the allegedly high-speed connection is, and, as you might guess, things are keeping me from even trying. Dad died this morning. We are sad, but OK. Darling Greta came over to assist with the Wee C today, which was a marvelous gift. You should have seen the look on my mother's friends' faces when I explained that she was a friend I had made over the internet! It's nearly midnight and I am too tired to post more than these thanks. We will stay in Carolina through Friday's service and the weekend, at least, and I doubt I'll be back to post or read much in the interim. But I bet I will manage some knitting. When my friend Dana called today, I told her how meaningful it had been for me to finish the hat for her life-to-come while ushering out another ~

Intensive Care

Dad My dad, who's already been dealing with a rare bone marrow disease since June, is in the hospital, where he had a heart attack this evening. Things in his old body are way out of whack, and the docs are trying to keep it under control until they can figure out all of what is happening. Tomorow we'll have results of a bone marrow biopsy that was taken on Friday, and tomorrow I'm on my way there. Wee C was already asleep when we got the call, and I decided to wait for daylight, while Brotherman drove ahead. Please, if you're so inclined, send some prayers or light on his behalf.

(Photo not the best, but what was near to hand, from the October reunion. There are better ones, but I haven't downloaded them from the disk the cousins gave us ~)

Eleven eleven

You didn't think I'd miss an opportunity to post on 11-11, did you? I'm happy to report that today was not as grueling as the Thursday of the four prior annual conferences I've staffed. There are certainly benefits to having childcare responsibilities, particularly when plans go awry and force me to be home before my colleagues have left the convention center. Where there is free internet access, but I can't exactly stand around the lobby blogging ~

Talla Because the suit I wore today has only the slimmest of jacket pockets, I used this little bag to carry my required cell phone, a pencil, and a scrap of paper. (Isn't it cute? I got it back in the summer from an online retailer called Talla that Daily Candy turned me on to. Check out their frabjus T-shirts.) Coincidentally, the bag goes swimmingly with the aforementioned pantsuit. And its groovy wriststrap made toting evaluation packets or art-auction items a cinch. And it's roomy. Roomy enough for a portable project I started on Wednesday night, see?


That's the leafy border of a baby hat for the second child of my friends Andrew and Dana (the pregnant priest who won a Halloween contest dressed as a chicken sitting on her nest; her son was a baby chick). That's the KPPPM #136 leftover from the booties I knit a year ago; I started to make another pair, but then I found this pattern and decided to give it a try. While it might look better in a greeny colorway, I think it'll be darned cute in these brights. And between the keynote address and the annual meeting, I finished the seven leaves and have now picked up the 96 stitches to knit the crown. The baby's due to be birthed in 10 days, and I'm due to monitor a seminar tomorrow, so I think we'll have a hat soon.

This Year's Model

This time last year I'd made nearly a dozen scarves ~ knitted or sewn ~ for the ART 180 sale and auction. (This year neither Kim nor I can remember if I've yet handed over my contribution of jewelry.) The organization(s) for which I work also hold an annual silent auction called Art by Architects (and Friends) ~ the beneficiary is our foundation, but the auction takes place at the professional association's annual educational conference. At a summer's-end LYS sale, I grabbed a couple of balls of Muench Oceana in hopes of contributing a scarf, and I finished it the other day.


The yarn is 15% cotton and the remainder not of nature, but it's raffia-like and has a bit o'metal and a lot o'color accenting the black. (Looks like it's discontinued, which is probably why it was on sale.) I knit garter rows in sections that alternated with some drop-stitch rows ~ quick, simple, and I like the results, as does my office-mate who oversees the auction. [See a close-up here.]  I'll let you know what it brings in a hall full of design & construction trade vendors, and report on what fine art items it's up against. (The auction only gets a corner of the exhibitor floor.) If nothing else, this contribution ought to give me leeway to keep knitting in some meetings.

Even though the conference doesn't start until Wednesday, I'm going to be pretty much working straight through the midnight Friday end of the awards gala, so you may not see a post from me this week. Doubt I'll be doing much knitting either, considering that I'm writing this one between composing flowery prose for awards certificates. With a 6 a.m. call on Thursday (that day goes 6a-8p; Friday's 7a-12m), and both those days at the convention center, I may not even get to my email after a quick check Wednesday night, and I'll have to fall behind on the blogs. Send any spare energy my way, and I'll look forward to catching up in a week!

Yarn Head


In the interest of equal kitty-time, here's Hondo at Tuesday's S&B, clearly unconcerned with the election returns. And, on the fiber front, note the lovely needlepoint pillow stitched in 1977 by one of my namesake aunts. [Ooo, that reminds me of a poem it's time to post. Soon.]

Actually, I shot that pic at the end of the night, when the guests were long gone. Kim, promoting ART 180's jewelry-auction fundraiser of this year (versus last fall's scarfarama); Michelle W., showing off the lovely black Rowan pullover she completed for her Caroline; and Heather, who'd gifted the triplet blankets to two girls and a boy, all got away before I thought of the camera. Too bad for them, as they missed the fresh blackberry pie Alice brought ~ with ice cream!


Nov04sb0003Pam (left) was around for the duration, fighting off the kitties as she started a scarf. In true young feline fashion, they were after everyone's yarn ~ no snobs, our Hondo and Frances. I guess the photo above is rather misleading, for Hondo once again chewed through the Berroco X-Press of the goddaughter poncho while I was in progress. Lisa's presence (above, right) was a pleasure, as always. She was starting a nephew sweater. I also worked on the mom-shawl and cast on for the CPII fronts before calling it a night. That's some Cotton Twist sprouting from the yarn head ~


I am so sad. The glimmer of Ohio-hope is barely flickering. Em's right: four more years of the fetal position. I wish I could move away from this land of my birth, but I don't think I can swing it, not with parents in insecure health and a kidlet who craves routine. I think Wee C would enjoy traipsing the world, actually, but now is not the time. Now is the time to crawl under a rock. But we can't do that either. I think the only vote I made for a victor was for my incumbent congressman, who was nominally challenged. My friend who ran for mayor lost; my councilman was unopposed. Oh, my incumbent school board member, I voted for him, too. But even in my home state, the wrong man is taking John Edwards' seat. Ugh.

I'll post the S&B report later, when I revive a bit from these post-election blues. I'd really thought enough people did stop, think and vote ~

I did.

And I'm wearing my swell new STOP THINK VOTE T-shirt. I'll photograph it tonight at S&B. No music mix in the CD changer, gang: We're listening to NPR. I just hope we're not going to bed without a new president ~

The first time I arrived at Albert Hill Middle School, at 8:30 a.m., the line was long enough that I wouldn't get to pull my little levers before the kitties' 9am vet appointment. An hour later, voting took maybe 15 or 20 minutes, I knit a few rows while waiting in the cafeteria (my prior votes had been made in a classroom), and caught up with my dear friend Elizabeth, who told me about attending the Dodge Poetry Festival earlier this fall ~